Exercising in your 50's

You must register before you can post.

HomeForumsDiet & Exercise DiscussionsExercising in your 50's

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • Diana
    Participant

I’m 53 and still work out at least 3 times per week but notice that when I choose to go to the gym, I’m nearly always the only person there anywhere near my age. So my question is this: What’s everybody else doing to stay fit? It’s a proven fact that exercising keeps your body limber and young and can help you avoid injuries but I’d love to find some people my age to either go to classes with or get together with for evening walks/runs.
    How do you exercise, and if you’ve coordinated a neighborhood exercise group, I’d love to hear from you!

Sarah
    Participant

Great post! I’m in my late 40’s and have noticed the same thing when I go to my gym, with the exception that we have a large amount of older people here. So the typical age of my fellow gym-goers is about 18-30, then 60+. Nobody near me in age (late 40’s).
    My husband and I both have outdoors jobs that naturally require a ton of exercise but in our spare time we still enjoy going hiking and camping. There’s a small group of people about our age (40’s/50’s) that goes on outings together but it’s not really organized. We just all work together and that’s how we met.
    Have you tried your local YMCA’s or even posting something at the gym? It could be that there are other people out there wondering the same thing and you could get together with them. Also, I’ve found that there are always different online groups for local people to organize and meet for special interest stuff. Have you tried those? I actually met one of my workout buddies on one of the social sites and then she got a job where I’m at. It’s a pretty cool resource.

MissouriBelle
    Participant

Actually, I HAVE coordinated a neighborhood exercise group. I met a bunch of other grandparents  at some after-school functions and we get together twice per week – once WITH the grandkids at a local park and once at the local college track to walk and then we all go for coffee afterwards. It gives us time to spend time with the grands while their parents get a bit of break once per week. The other day without the kids gives us a great opportunity to socialize and exercise at the same time. It’s a win/win/win situation!

Miss Viva Joy
    Participant

How Time Management Can help Reduce the Signs of Aging

Is your busy schedule making you feel and look older?

For many of us when we were young, we were taught as women that we were expected to do it all. Those expectations can create stress which can increase the signs of aging. With women’s lives being even busier than ever these days, especially after 40, it is important that they learn about time management.

Time management may feel like an impossibility, but we all deserve to schedule time for ourselves in order to relieve stress and slow the aging process down.

You may ask yourself, “how can I create more time for me?” It is also important to know the results you are after. I suggest making a list called “I wish I had more time to…” and remember to write the answers that pertain to you and your wellbeing.

Many wellness practitioners recommend an “80/20” rule where they suggest we schedule 80% of our time with work, family, chores, etc. and the other 20% for ourselves. For those of you who feel that seems impossible, you can choose many ways of creating more time for ourselves by starting small –instead of watching television, try relaxing your muscles and taking deep breaths while meditating in a quiet area for 15-30 minute increments daily to assist in preventing wrinkles and the increase blood flow – this can reduce stress and fight the aging process if done routinely.

When we have more control over Our Time and are able to live fully in the moment, We can feel more at peace and will feel like we are turning back the age clock.

Get a complementary training on how to look and feel younger
    (worth $47) at https://90daystorejuvenate.com/

To your Health and Happiness,

Miss Vivajoy – Chantal Couve

carolynabrams
    Participant

Hi,

Health and wellness are the most important pillars of our life. Most of the seniors do regular exercise in order to maintain their health. Along with daily exercise proper diet is equally important. My neighbor told me that when she was living at home care services Boca Raton ,There she has learnt many ageing workouts with the help of their fitness trainers. They can suggest the seniors better exercises depending on ones physical health and mental ability to do it.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  carolynabrams.

Pattyluvshealth
    Participant

Hi all,

I have actually found that social support for exercise actually has a direct correlation to self -efficacy so thank you for this support. I realize that when I am working out with others, which is difficult because I live in a rural area, I am more likely to be motivated to continue my work outs. I’ve actually also read that women are more likely to be motivated by social support networks than men so it’s great that there are so many women are coming together to answer this post. Do you guys find that it is better to be surrounded by same-aged women in your workout groups or does the mixed genders pose no difference?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.